The benefits of acai berry have made it one of most popular fruit in recent years. Across the globe people are scrambling to get as much information as possible about the health benefits of acai berry in order to improve their well being. What’s behind this little berry that makes it so popular?
About the Acai Berry
In order to get the full picture of how acai berry benefits the body, it is best to know something about the fruit. The acai berry comes from a palm tree native to South America and Central America. It is small berry 1 inch in diameter with a reddish purple color. The acai berry is related to the cranberry and blueberry.
The flavor of the fruit is said to be a little tart with hints of chocolate and clove. By itself, the acai berry tends to taste bland. To get the most out of the acai berry benefits it is often mixed with other berries to improve the sweetness and flavor.
What Makes Acai Berry Health Benefits Work
The health benefits of acai berry come from the antioxidants it contains; anthocyanins and flavonoids. Anthocyanins are found in many deep purple foods such as red wine, blueberries and red grapes. Along with flavonoids, they serve to defend stress in the body and protect its cells. The major antioxidants benefits are that it can help reduce disease by neutralizing harmful free radicals that the body produces. This is why eating acai berries and other foods rich in antioxidants are strongly encouraged by medical professionals.
Direct Benefits of Acai Berry for Your Health
Acai berry has proven to help prevent the risk of certain diseases and conditions such as:
- Medical conditions such as cancer and heart disease have been related to free radicals throughout the body; which are neutralized with the help of antioxidants.
- Antioxidants are also known to slow down the effects that aging has on the body.
- Among other acai berry health benefits is it helps some individuals lose weight, build muscle and increase energy.
- Another of the benefits of acai berry is it contains essential fatty acids which help with reducing LDL (bad) cholesterol and increases HDL (good) cholesterol for a healthier heart.
- Acai berry health benefits also include boosting the immune system using a long list of immune system vitamins and minerals including vitamins A, B and C; potassium, magnesium and zinc.
Benefits of Acai Berry in Cosmetics
Acai berries are used in many beauty products and cosmetics because of the antioxidants it provides. It has proven to be safer than other tropical oils used in lotions, skin therapies and shampoos. Processed acai berry also maintains its antioxidant levels when it is stored for a long period of time.
As you probably have seen, the acai berry benefits have been reported all over the media and now you know why!
Other Uses for Acai Berry
Acai berry benefits go beyond health and beauty. The leaves of the berry are used to make baskets, brooms, hats and other products. In commercial construction, the leaves are used as roofing material and the trunk as building material. The seeds are used to plant new acai berry trees or for livestock feed.
The health benefits of acai berry have been shown to outweigh any reported side effects. People who are sensitive to berries or have other allergies should not eat this fruit to avoid adverse reaction. Otherwise healthy people should have no problem eating acai berries in moderate amounts.